If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Bergen County, NJ and you have a prior DWI conviction that is less than 10 years old, you are being charged as a repeat offender. This means that you are facing enhanced penalties – penalties that include substantial fines, extended jail time and a long-term driver’s license suspension. Protecting your finances, your freedom and your future will require experienced legal representation, and you need to start building your defense as soon as possible.
Bergen County DWI defense attorney Scott A. Gorman has more than a decade of experience representing clients charged with first-time and multiple-time DWIs. He can protect your legal rights, and he can make sure you face consequences that are no greater than absolutely necessary. Scott knows the law, and he knows how to use it to his clients’ advantage. If you are serious about making sure that repeat drunk driving charge does not ruin your life, we urge you to contact us promptly so that Scott can start fighting your case today.
Penalties for Multiple-Time DWIs and DWI Refusals in Bergen County
New Jersey law imposes enhanced penalties for DWIs and DWI refusals. If this is your second, third or a subsequent DWI case, you could be facing penalties including:
- Second DWI Offense – 48 hours to 90 days
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – 180 days
Driver’s License Suspension
- Second DWI Offense – Two years
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – 10 years
Fines and Fees
- Second DWI Offense – $775 to $1,275
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – $1,275
- Second DWI Offense – $1,000 per year for three years
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – $1,500 per year for three years
- Second DWI Offense – 30 days
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – none
Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IRDC)
- Second DWI Offense –Must satisfy evaluation and referral requirements of the IDRC.
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense –Must satisfy evaluation and referral requirements of the IDRC.
- Second DWI Offense – $280 per day
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – $280 per day
Ignition Interlock Device
- Second DWI Offense – During the period of license suspension and one to three years following license restoration
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – During the period of license suspension and one to three years following restoration
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Suspension
- Second DWI Offense – Permanent revocation of your CDL
- Third or Subsequent DWI Offense – Not applicable
It is possible to avoid or mitigate these penalties, but only if you take a proactive approach to your defense. If you do nothing (or, worse, if you make mistakes), you are not likely to receive any leniency when facing prosecution for a multiple-time DWI in New Jersey. Scott can help you take steps to show that you do not deserve a maximum sentence, and he can execute a comprehensive defense strategy designed to make sure you face as few consequences as possible.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you are facing a multiple-time DWI charge in Bergen County, contact us now to schedule a free and confidential consultation with DWI defense attorney Scott A. Gorman. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at (201) 489-9199, or send us your contact information and we will be in touch as soon as possible.